After many long hours pounding the pavements or pedal pumping on the road bike, I expect whoever came up with this little rhyme was rather pleased.
Summer is a great time to be outdoors, whether your training for a race or just enjoying the extra daylight hours. But I don’t think Winter should get the sore end of this deal. So if you need a few reasons to don the trainers and get outside, even when it’s windy, raining, or even snowing, then try these…
- An immediate bond of camaraderie with any other soul that is also foolish enough to be out braving the winter, normally exchanged with a stoic nod. Although in extreme conditions a ‘thumbs up’ or even a full-blown grin might be acceptable.
- Negotiating very muddy tracks might improve your hurdling technique.
- Often you’ll have the trail/path/track to yourself.
- You will save energy and money on heating, when you finish your home will feel like a sauna.
- Fight off colds and flu with a healthy dose of exercise.
- Our Winter really isn’t that bad, we could have total darkness for 3 months a year!
- Running outside and having an adventure will beat a treadmill every time, hands down.
- Icy paths will use neglected muscle groups.
- The shower afterwards will feel even better (and if you’re a student, you can treat running in the rain as your shower!)
- Your friends will think your crazy.
Once you’ve started, I’m sure you won’t let a little rain or snow stand in your way. Let me know if you have any other great reasons that should be added to the list.