9 Ways to know you’re home
Arriving home after weeks or months away is wonderful, but settling back into comfy UK life after a period spent on expedition, can present some challenges. Here’s nine commonly encountered issues:
- By default, you tend to try and eat everything with a spoon.
- You are indecisive when faced with breakfast choices; porridge, porridge or porridge seemed much simpler.
- The sudden recollection that milk comes in liquid, not powdered form.
- Sleepily trying to zip up the side of your duvet, convinced your sleeping bag is undone.
- You unconsciously check your boots before you step into them.
- Then realise that going to a shop probably doesn’t represent snake bite/rough terrain risk, hence doesn’t require walking boots.
- You find a choice of clothing bewildering (and are stubbornly reluctant to move away from the craghopper/icebreaker combo).
- People think you’ve been on holiday, you think you need a holiday.
- You know the expedition beard needs a shave, but saying goodbye is harder than planned.
* * *
If you enjoyed this article, you might like:
- 9 Do’s and Don’ts for living in the Amazon
- 10 Ways to know when you’re on an expedition
- Is there anything left to explore?